Sunday, September 12, 2010

Yummies: The Baby Edition

A few weeks ago, I was chatting with my sister-in-law about all things baby.  Last April, her and her husband adopted a baby boy that was two weeks younger than Aaron.  I'm sure you can imagine how much fun (and trouble) we're going to have with these two as they grow up.  Anyway, she told me that she was making baby food, and how much money she was saving doing it.  I was super excited hearing this, as Adam and I are all about saving money these days.  I also love the idea that it's organic in that it's made in my kitchen, it's healthier for Aaron, and I'm sure the taste is better.  

Friday afternoon, armed with a sweet potato and steamer basket, I dived into the world of baby-food making.  After peeling the sweet potato, and cutting into chunks, I decided to document.  Here you go:

Sweet potatoes, cut in pieces, arranged in the steamer basket inside stock pot.  I had already boiled around 1/4 of a cup of water; added the basket with the potatoes, and let it sit for 20 minutes with the lid on top.


After the potatoes cooked, I then put them in the food processor and pureed until soft.


Scooped the potatoes out, put them in ice cube trays.  This is 16 days worth of food from one potato.  Wow!


I put a sweet potato cube in a freezer bag to thaw over night in the refrigerator.  Put the cube in a bowl, heated it up for around 10 seconds, added a little water, and Aaron is officially about to try Mom's homemade sweet potatoes..........


And, he likes them!!!  Next up, green apples!

1 comment:

  1. Cannot WAIT to get my hands on that little muffin in a couple of weeks. Look at how big he's gotten!! OMG.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!