Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Okay, Gisele.....enough already!

I was going to write a sweet little post about our first family trip to North Carolina to visit Adam's dad and stepmother.....that was until I read this on People.  For those of you that don't know, Gisele has gone to every magazine possible to tout of her "amazing" body after baby, including her workout regimens, what she ate, and her "natural" childbirth.  For the past few months since having Aaron, I have seen Gisele's face splashed on magazine after magazine cover, and her quotes discussed on my fave shows like E! News.  I am so sick of this woman that I cannot stand it!  I can no longer take her ignorant comments, and I have to discuss.  Basically in her latest magazine interview she states:

  • She reclaimed her fabulous body 6 weeks after baby.  All of this through Kung Fu, Meditation, and breastfeeding.  Must be nice; I still have a spare tire of 10 pounds around my belly and the stretch marks to prove it.
  • She practiced Kung Fu two weeks before giving birth, yoga thrice weekly while pregnant, and meditated every day.  Guess what I practiced?  The art of eating an entire DQ Butterfinger Blizzard while driving home from work at least once a week.  Doesn't that count as exercise, Gisele?? ;)
  • She refused to give birth in a hospital and refused an epidural because so many women before her did it that way.  I LOVED having my baby in the hospital and I LOVED my epidural.  It does not make me any less of a woman because I chose to have medication to help me deliver my 7 1/2 pound baby boy, nor, does it make me any less of a woman to want nurses to take care of me for a couple of days after having a child, and bring me the fantastic crushed ice to munch on before giving birth.  I can't forget to mention the fabulous pecan pies that were sneaked inside my room by my lovely nurses when I couldn't stand the sight of the bland cafeteria food!
  • She also believe there should be a law requiring breastfeeding for at least 6 months after birth. Yes, I know that breast is best.  If I could have breastfed for longer than one month, then I would have done it for as long as possible.  However, when your child is not gaining weight as they should, do you continue to deprive them of what they need, or do you give them the nutrients they need in powder (or ready-to-feed) form?  I think we all know the answer to that question.
After reading this article (and seriously fuming inside) I decided to post this comment:

How many times do I have to read Gisele’s opinion on her body, breastfeeding, and natural childbirth? So over it! I just had a healthy and beautiful baby boy in March; I delivered my child in a hospital with the help of an epidural and it was the best decision I could have made. Yes, I think it’s amazing that there are women out there who can have a vaginal delivery without medication; however, you are just as much of a strong woman whether you deliver your child vaginally or by c-section with medication. Yes, I agree that “breast is best,” but some women cannot nurse for 6 months, let alone 3 months. I nursed for one month, and while I wish I could have nursed longer, my child was not gaining the way he should so I started him on formula. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He is healthy, happy, and growing and that is all that matters to me.

Can you believe the nerve of this woman?  Who does she think she is to preach to women about how to take care of their children when there have been millions of women before her to give birth, and go on to produce happy, healthy babies with or without breastfeeding?  

My son is the most important person in my life, and I will continue to do everything in my power to keep him healthy and happy.  Doesn't that count for something?

5 comments:

  1. You go girl! Some people think they know it all, but only you know what's best for your little man. You are a great Mommy and Aaron is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously...she needs to shut it. it's her JOB to look fabulous. her job. if we were paid MILLIONS to be hot six weeks after bambino, we could do it too, no worries. normal people have jobs in offices and pesky florescent lighting. i have to take a step back when i start to compare myself to these hollywood women who are literally paid to look hot. if we were paid to primp, we'd all be skelators too!

    love the rant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I am not a mother, I loved this post! really? making breast feeding mandatory? what are they going to do start carding babies? think about the black market for fake baby ids, haha! I also guess i missed the fact that a super model is qualified to be an expert on child birth/development.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was too funny! I am getting inspired to do better with my own blog! :) :)
    I've never obviously given childbirth and the thought scares the poop out of me, because I'm weak on the whole "pain" thing. I haven't read Gisele's post, but I think to say it should be a law is a stretch. I even heard a comment about it on late night tv.
    Nonetheless, I think the most important and main takeaway is that a mother needs to do her research and know the best for her and the baby depending on their own circumstances. As I say all the time, I was on formula and I turned out half way decent! lol
    It's easy to try to judge other mothers and/or people and say what they should or shouldn't do. Bleh.... that's what I have to say.
    If/When I ever pop a kid out, I have NO CLUE what I'll do. Plus, these things seem to come in waves in my opinion as to what is "popular" to do.
    I also agree with Ashley in that she has a team of people to make her look fab all the time. I mean, we all take our jobs seriously and hers happens to be one where she is paid obscene amounts of money to look like she does...
    Nonetheless, you're a wonderful mother! Keep doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right on! I have been surprised by the number of people (mainly my 60-year-old-plus neighbors) who have asked if I am having this baby naturally. I tell them point blank - NO! I want any and all medications they'll give me. I agree with you that it doesn't make us less of a woman or a mother to accept pain medication during labor. It's called labor for a reason!
    We know you are a great mom and we love ya!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!