Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Breakthrough

I meant to post this entry last week, but things have been so busy I couldn't find the time to sit down and compose without it being all over the place.

Last week I had a breakthrough.  Seriously, it hit me at 10:30 last Sunday night.  I'm embarrassed to say that it hasn't hit me sooner than now.  After getting my feelings hurt for the upteenth time by someone close to me, this Maya Angelou quote hit me:

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option."

I've read this quote several times before, and I know I probably have it pinned on my quotes board on Pinterest, but I've never really thought about it until now.  So simple, yet so true.  Why make someone so important in your life when the feelings aren't returned?  I'm not going to publicly bash anybody on here (as much as I kinda want to), because in the long run it's not worth it.  I will say; however, that there are people in my life that I have made a priority over and over again, and in return I've only been treated as an option.  And you know, I'm sure there are people that feel that way about me as well.  I apologize for that. 

I'm done.....for real.  I'm done with the hurt feelings/anger/bitterness over these unfulfilled relationships and friendships.  I'm not saying that I won't be there for you; if you need me I'll be there.  But the bending over backwards to please, and the lack of self-reciprocation I'm over.  I, from the point on, will no longer make someone a priority when I am only an option to them. 

I have to conclude this blog by saying that I am very blessed to have the good friendships that I have. This post isn't about bashing anyone, or feeling sorry for myself, and I really hope it didn't come across that way.  It's about growing up, and realizing (like one of my best friends, Natalie has always said): "Who's going to be there when the limo breaks down and you have to ride the Greyhound."  Hahah.  I've always loved that example.  Or, who's going to answer the phone in your hour of need, whether it's 3 pm or 3 am.  Those friendships/relationships are my priority.  

Thanks for listening, dear reader.  Enjoy your day!

~LL

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!