Tuesday, April 23, 2013

This DIY thing is hard....

Happy Tuesday!  Today has been a pretty good day.  With the exception of crazy dreams last night, I woke up and actually enjoyed a cup of coffee.  This made me really happy.  I haven't been able to drink coffee this whole pregnancy up until a week ago.  I forgot how much I missed it, until I poured some Hazelnut creamer into my coffee cup this morning.  Ahhh....it's the little things, y'all.

Whilst enjoying my cup o' joe this morning, I watched Kelly and Michael.  Disclaimer: I'm only able to savor a cup of coffee AND watch Kelly and Michael at the same time when my son is at preschool.  This only happens twice a week, so you better believe I enjoy every second.  Kate Hudson was on their show today and I adore her.  Like major girl crush adore her.  I love everything about her: her hair, style, attitude- like she's probably one of my most favorite people in the world.  Seriously.  If this a boy I'm totally naming him Bingham and calling him Bing.....okay, not really but she can just do no wrong in my book. 

via

In other news, the last I updated about the house we had gone to Lowe's, picked out our kitchen flooring and new cabinet knobs.  Our flooring had to be special ordered, so it won't even arrive until later this week.  Adam went ahead and took off the old cabinet handles this weekend and added the silver knobs.  They're great......however, they would look much better if the previous handles hadn't left horrible rust stains behind.  To get an idea of what I'm talking about here's a pic of our kitchen:






This picture was taken 4 years ago so of course, table and decor have changed, but you get where I'm coming from regarding the cabinet handles.  Anyway, those handles have been on those cabinet doors since this house was built 50 years ago.  After removing the knobs, Adam sanded the cabinets and then went over the stains with primer.  A couple of times.  This is what we're working with now:

Ugh



 Adam says eventually the white will fade, but it's just not working for both of us.  Yeah, the knobs aren't super fancy but these cabinets need color.  Especially now that there's a two-toned white dominating the canvas.  We've decided that we'll pick out a color once we get the new flooring in.  That should be within the next two weeks.  Do y'all have any suggestions?  Here's another picture of our flooring:





I'm kinda digging the idea of bright, colorful cabinets.  Adam thinks we need to stick to beige/brown.  Thoughts?

Enjoy your day!

~LL


5 comments:

  1. I actually did my cabinets an off white more neutral and when I am able to tackle the horrible stained paneling this spring/summer I am going to do it all bright white. I thought it was crazy with the darker tan walls (maybe even chestnut) and then the offwhite with white but I saw a picture at Home Depot and loved the look together with the white and off white.

    You might want to try priming with some gray before you paint to eliminate the rust still showing through. If you are using a color to paint it would also give you a fresh backdrop to start with on your doors :)

    I had to fill in one hole on my doors when I did them last year and it is troublesome for sure!! So glad to know you are back in town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas- thanks Kelly! Maybe we should repaint them white. Part of me is dying for color, though. Guess we'll see once we get that new flooring down!

      Thanks for commenting, friend! We're not back in town yet but we'll be this summer!

      Delete
  2. I would do white cabinets again unless you are planning to paint the walls a bright white. If you go beigey-brown you may end up with a really beige kitchen. The white may be a nice contrast to the floor. You could maybe play with color on the walls or add an inexpensive backsplash. Supposedly, backsplashes are very DIY friendly...supposedly. I have not done ANY work in our kitchen, so I'm speaking from zero experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. something also really popular is keeping the top cabinets light and painting the bottom cabinets a darker color...that could also work if you wanted to do some color.

      OK I'm done. :)

      Delete
    2. Good idea, mama! I love that contrast of the light/dark combo. I dunno. The crazy part of me (aka: the prego part of me) sees bright red cabinets and lots of loud colors. The normal part (which is very small these days) says "reign it in." I hope we're not in over our heads.

      Delete

I love to hear from you!