Thursday, January 3, 2013

The indoor playground

My nerves are shot.  Seriously.  The only thing that's stopping me from having a glass of wine right this minute is that it's probably not the most appropriate time. Now that I'm thinking, I might have a Xanax in my medicine cabinet....kidding.....maybe. ;)

Aaron and I met my dear friend, Laura, and her son Kade at Chick-fil-A for lunch today.  Chick-fil-A is a hot lunch spot anyway, but when you have a kid it's prime.  Especially the newer Chick-fil-A's that come equipped with a nice indoor playground for the kiddos.  On rainy days like this when you can't go outside and play, school's out, and cabin fever has set in, you cop to the fact that your child's lunch is probably going to consist of fried chicken tenders and go for it.  Since I made the mistake of telling Aaron yesterday morning (this kid remembers everything) that we were going to meet Kade at Chick-fil-A today that's all he's talked about for the past 24 hours.  So needless to say, we left for our 11:30 lunch date at 11:00 because I couldn't handle one more "Mommy, I want to go to "Chivalay" to see Kade!"  I realized that getting there for lunch at 11:00 is the way to go.  It's early, but no one's there, and the playground hasn't been taken over by thousands of loud, screaming, pushy children (I'm exaggerating- just a little). 

Y'all that place wears me out.  Children....EVERYWHERE.  Now, I love children.  Well let me be more specific; I love my family/friends children.  There is no way on earth I could ever be a teacher, as I have zero patience for loud, screaming, pushing kids.  And when the clock strikes noon at this place (especially at this place on a freakin' holiday) it's insane.  Banging, hitting, screaming, pushing, crying.....you get the drift.  Every man for himself mentality.  My Aaron Mo is a very social child, but when we get into these situations he freezes up; finds a place to sit and watch the madness go down.  It's way too much.  Heck, when I'm there I want to crawl under a rug and never come out.  Fast-forward an hour later, we get home, and another child has taken over my child's body; this child is hitting, pushing, yelling, just in general being mean and difficult (i.e. the playground mentality) and not himself.  Jesus. 

I promise, the point of this post is not to bash indoor playgrounds (particularly Chick-fil-A's); there is a time and a place for these.  Honestly, I love hitting an indoor playground in horrible weather, having a cup of coffee, and letting Aaron get some energy out.  With all of that being said, feel free to meet us on a rainy day at 10:30 AM.  We'll be out of there by noon- promise. ;)

~LL

2 comments:

I love to hear from you!