Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Baby Story

Wow. In the words of one of the worst bands in history, "it's been awhile." In the past two months since I last updated there have been some big changes; the biggest change being that I am now a mom to a beautiful baby boy! On March 17, 2010 at 2:15 pm (Yes a St. Paddy's day baby. Imagine his 21st birthday- thanks Karma!) my little was man was born and weighed in 7 lb 13 oz. He has a head full of dark hair, his dad's eyes and forehead, and my lips and chin. He is the most precious, wonderful, perfect thing I have ever laid my eyes on, and I could not be more in love with him!
I'm going to try to make the birth story as short as possible, considering what a huge ordeal it felt like. Before I start, let me just preface this story by saying that medication is good. Here goes:

I went into labor around 7:30 pm on Tuesday, March 16th. I had just stuffed myself with a Wendy's bacon and cheese baked potato (it's the fire, by the way) and was watching The Daily 10 in my favorite stretchy pants. All of a sudden, I felt a sharp cramp; the kind of cramp that makes you say "ow!" out loud. Cut to forty-five minutes later and here comes another one. That's when I knew this show was finally on the road. By 12:30 AM my contractions were five minutes apart, so me and Adam, and my mom and sister headed to the Medical Center. I was finally put in a birthing suite around 5 AM after being in OB Assessment since 1 AM. Fun times, people. I was dead tired, Adam was dead tired, and yet we were both so nervous and anxious. Luckily, I was cured with a little E! and some wonderful paid meds once we got to our birthing suite. After sleeping for almost an hour my contractions started picking it up again, and were getting closer and closer. This is when the real fun began, folks. You see, I was having regular contractions, but I was not dilating. My doc had ordered the nurse to put some Pitocin in my IV drip to make the contractions faster so I would dilate past 2 cm. It worked. Within an hour of clutching the bed rails in pain, and practicing my breathing techniques with Adam, and my nurse, Gigi, I finally went from 2 cm to 4 cm. I got my epidural around 9 AM. Never in my life have I been so excited to get a needle stuck in my back! FYI: don't be scared of an epidural. They are marvelous. I'm just going to put it out there and say, there is no pain like the pain of a contraction. You women who do it naturally, I give you props! Anyhow, I was feeling so very lovely and wonderful until about 12:30 pm: I was 10 cm and it was time to start the delivery process. My labor was crazy; the first hour of pushing I was watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians and checking Facebook; the last 45 minutes of pushing my epidural had been turned down, and I could feel my contractions coming. Between crying and asking the doctor to "please get a vacuum and get him out of me!" I thought I would never make it. Finally at 2:15, after and hour and forty-five minutes of pushing, Aaron Adam Mosely was born! He came out screaming and urinating every where! As soon as he was placed on my stomach he stopped crying and looked at me like: "oh, there you are, mom." It was truly the best moment of my life. I cannot put into words the love that I feel for my son; it was truly the most powerful, wonderful love I have ever experienced. My life now feels utterly complete.

With all of that being said, in between spit-up mishaps, Diaper Genie malfunctions, and Gymboree points, I am going to try to update this blog as much as possible. Although I am running on 4 hours of sleep these days, and my coffee maker is my new best friend, I am so grateful for everything: under eye bags and all. Here's to parenthood- it's going to be a wild ride!!